Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Summer Academy

The first month that I am spending in Germany is not actually apart of the fall semester here at the University of Mannheim.  Instead the University runs Summer Academy program that focuses on German language and culture courses.  While being in class may not sound like the most entertaining way to be spending my last month of the summer, I am actually very thankful for the opportunity.

For one thing I have greatly improved my German writing and reading skills, which were errrrrrr...non existent before coming to Germany (....whoops).  On top of this, the Summer Academy has allowed me to meet tons of people from all of the world who, like me, have come to Mannheim to study.  In fact, the vast majority of the people I have met so far have actually been foreigners.  It's really interesting, though, because I am learning all about their cultures as well as the German culture itself.  I'd say that as an American, there's a little more to adjust to as compared to those who are from the European Union, but there is no doubt that we all have a common connection to bond over as we adjust to living in Germany.

Overall, thought, I sincerely believe that such a program is a great way to begin a study abroad program.  Rather than jumping straight into classes and whatnot, I have had a chance to adjust and make friends before I begin working on my major studies while I am here in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment